Cottage Cheese Dumplings
(Tvarohové ovocné knedlíky)
250 g soft cottage cheese (kvarg)
1 pinch of slat
50 g butter
About 170 g-200g coarser flour (half and half)
Fruit (strawberries, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries etc.)
1. Crumble the cottage cheese into a bowl, add egg and melted butter and mix into a smooth mixture.
2. Into this mixture add flour little by little, until it is still little bit sticky but not too thick dough. Amount of flour depends on the size of the egg you use.
3. In the end you can use your hands to form the dough on a floured surface.
4. From this dough you make a long sausage from which you cut portion sizes big enough to coat your fruit in.
7. Filled dumplings are then either steamed or boiled in boiling water for about 5-7minutes.
8. When they have swam up to the surface they are ready and can be taken out.
9. Ready dumplings are sprinkled with either ground poppy seeds mixed with icing sugar and poured over melted butter or grated cottage cheese, lots of icing sugar and melted butter.
10. Or as my mum used to make 1 tbsp. of butter in a frying pan add 3dl of breadcrumbs and roast a little bit, then add 3 tbsps. Icing sugar (or more if you want it sweeter) and put the dumplings into this mixture as soon as they come out of the boiling water and coat them in it for serving just pour melted butter and sprinkle of icing sugar over.